Can You Paint on a Tile? | 7 Tips to Follow Before Your DIY Project
Whether you've just bought yourself a new house and moved in or simply want to redo your interior, choosing sleek painted walls over tiles is almost a given. No one wants an 1870s aesthetic anymore, especially since nowadays it's all about smooth walls and elegant wallpapers. Perhaps even a little texture to spice things up.
Nonetheless, if you're stuck with tiles on your wall but don't have the budget to pluck 'em out, why not just paint them instead?
Now, if you're wondering, can you paint on tile? The answer is: Yes. And we're here to tell you just how to do that!
Can You Paint Tile?
Painting on tiles is way easier than you think. Plus, it's a great alternative if you're looking to keep your budget intact. In fact, painting tiles can liven up your living space, especially areas like the kitchen, living room, laundry room, etc.
The best part is that if you use a primer beforehand, it'll also help cover up the grout lines, giving a seamless finish. This means that even tiled floors and ceilings can get their fair share of remodeling done.
But, as wonderful as it is, it's better not to paint on tile if it's located in a high-traffic area with lots of moisture, such as the shower area or a tiny bathroom. This is because paint can easily chip away due to the constant spillage of water.
However, if you're adamant about giving your bathroom a makeover, it's better to hire professionals rather than do it yourself.
Tips to Keep in Mind Before Your Painting Project
Before you head on over to start the paint job, take a look at the following tips that might help you out when painting tiles.
- Make sure you have all the supplies you need beforehand. Such as primer, paint roller, different brushes, sealants, etc.
- Cleaning the tiles is essential before you paint them. Scrub them clean of any mold, grease, or dirt that there may be.
- If a tile is broken or cracked, repair it with a two-way epoxy filler. This will fill those pesky cracks and allow the paint to glide on smoothly.
- If your tiles are glossy, try sanding them down. This will ensure the paint sticks on smoothly.
- Don't forget to apply the primer as a base coat. Give it enough time to dry before moving on to the actual painting job.
- Apply the paint in thin coats, resting in between each coating.
- Once done, seal it off with a varnish or a high-quality sealant for a long-lasting finish.
What Type of Paint Should You Use on Tiles?
Believe it or not, not every kind of paint is the same. Each paint grade has its own specific setting with different bases and finishes. For example, water-based paint will dissolve too soon, whereas latex paint is prone to bubbling and blistering.
In contrast, epoxy, silicone-based, and enamel paints are all excellent options. They have a firm hold on the slippery tile surface and are well resistant to water.
Not to mention, they can even withstand high temperatures. This allows you to use them over kitchen and bathroom tiles without a sliver of doubt.
Where Can I Find The Best Quality Paint?
If you were looking for a sign to paint your tiled walls, floors, or ceilings — this is it! Many people do wonder if you can paint tile, and yes. No matter how complicated it seems, you can 100% paint over tiles.
So what are you waiting for? Head on over to Kwikze Paint to get all your painting supplies in one place. You can even call (281) 407-0502 if you have any questions or queries. We're always looking out to help transform your living experience.